Information is taken from the current Arts and Sciences Handbook. Any discrepancies are resolved in favor of the official printed version found at the arts section of the Kingdom of Meridies Homepage.
General Comments not specific to any category
If there is no documentation, the item will not be judged to afford the entrant the opportunity to better exhibit their piece and re-enter the next fair.
Leatherwork – non-armor
- All entries must be appropriate to time, place and culture.
- All leather construction should be done by hand.
- Glue should not be a primary construction medium, and should be cleaned sufficiently that it is unseen.
- Synthetic sinew that appears realistic is acceptable, synthetic leather is not.
- Enter finished pieces only, no kit projects.
- Stamped and carved leather techniques were both used during the SCA period. Documentation should support the techniques used.
- Tandy-style tooling is not period.
- Gilding should be done with real gold.
- Decoration on a piece should be documented to the style of the piece. Decorative items and garment accessories had different decorative styles in most time periods.
- Fastenings and hardware should be consistent to the stated time of the project and appropriate to the piece.
- Edges should be finished in an appropriate manner and knots should not be used.
- Do not paint leather without appropriate documentation.
Return to category list