Information is taken from the current Arts and Sciences Handbook. Any discrepancies are resolved in favor of the official printed version found at the arts section of the Kingdom of Meridies Homepage.
General Comments not specific to any category
If there is no documentation, the item will not be judged to afford the entrant the opportunity to better exhibit their piece and re-enter the next fair.
- Entries without recipes and ingredient lists will not be judged.
- All entries must be appropriate to time, place and culture.
- Documentation must include the final redacted recipe. Include the original period recipe if available. Document individual ingredients and techniques, if no period recipes are available.
- Document your process, explaining how the dish is prepared.
- Items containing raw eggs, seafood or nuts must be labeled clearly and appropriate safety precautions must be taken.
- Original recipes based upon appropriate research are encouraged.
- Cooked entries should be fully cooked. Cold entries should be cool and hot entries should be warm. It is the responsibility of the entrant to see to this.
- Presentation should be appropriate to the entry. Since this is generally a very large category, please consider space limitations in designing your presentation.
- Highly acid foods should not be cooked or served in reactive cookware.
- Simple dishes can increase in complexity by doing a survey or study.
- Do not use Sure-Jel or other artificial pectins in period jellies.
- Any edible flowers used should be organically grown – no pesticides.
- Taste everything before you serve it.
Return to category list